Tuesday 27 January 2009

the ocean & the whale

I was with my sister, deep down in the dark blue waters of the ocean. We were on a quest to discover where sea water comes from and what makes it salty. We were both wearing black diving suits and were perhaps a kilometre or so below the waters' surface. We found a sign on a wall, much like the information signs at museums, depicting a picture of a ship covered in azure crystals. Beneath the picture was a wordy explanation of the source of the ocean, the words close to us clear and legible, but the words further down the sign, obscured by the dark shadows of the sea. We read the first sentence or two but I was anxious about running out of oxygen and kept looking around me, distracted by how deep we had ventured. My sister was suddenly short of breath so we began swimming fast, up toward the distant surface. Nearing the top, I held my sister's head and pulled her up, urging her to hold on. We surfaced, gulping in great lungfuls of air. We had emerged in a huge indoor pool of dark, deep water that was clearly open to the ocean. We climbed out and began walking out of the concrete room when the sound of great waves crashing caused us to turn. A giant whale - his head above the water, filling the entire space - had swum up into the pool. He seemed to be furious, his eye glinting as he swung his vast body around as though he wanted to attack the handful of people now running, trying to escape. Water spilled over the sides of the pool and flooded the paths. My sister ran but I was swept up by the water and carried around the circumference of the room, propelled around the cement walls. The monster whale, dark grey body lurching, swung around again whilst I washed by him slipping between his powerful body and the wall. Suddenly, he was gone. He disappeared back down under the ocean and everything calmed.

No comments: