Thursday 1 January 2009

my work & water

I was busy with my work when a client called to ask for an urgent job. I didn't want to put aside my work as it was important to me but I agreed to do the client's work first. I prepared a design for some white folders and called again to find out the wording that was required to be printed on the folders. The client was out of the office on a 'wine date', according to the receptionist. I went to where I knew the client would be to discuss the wording as they had told me that the job was high-priority, but she was sitting with a large group of people, all drunk. I showed her the design and did my best to find out what she wanted on the folders but she was incoherent and careless. The receptionist showed up and she suggested some wording that could use. I felt disappointed and angry as the job was obviously of little importance and of less urgency than the client had earlier stated, otherwise she would have prioritised it as I had done, putting off my own work in the process.
Next, B and I drove around a strange car park and parked the car in a marked space bordered by water. We walked down to the swimming pool, looking forward to a peaceful and private swim. Approaching the pool via a different path, I could see a woman I know and her two friends, all with shades of red hair. A soundtrack seemed to accompany them - a well-known piece of classical music that has dark and imposing undertones. I hurried, urging B to hurry too, eager to enter the water before the other people arrived so as to create an ownership of the space. We waded into the beautiful blue and green water, moments before they walked into the space and also entered the water. The music that came with them increased in volume, filling my ears and causing my heart to pound. I started to talk about the music but it seemed that no-one else could hear it, only me. Some of the water drained out of the pool - there were too many people in the water - and we could see patches of sand here and there. I called to B, who was now walking around the outskirts of the pool, and asked if we could go to the ocean and find another swimming place there. She agreed so we left the others to the pool. As we walked away, I again noticed the red hair of all three people, swimming in the water. B and I returned to the car and navigated our way back onto the marked car space so that we could drive to the sea.

No comments: