Friday 9 January 2009

audition

I lived next door to a man who I sighted rarely and knew little of - he seemed to be extremely busy, coming home irregularly and, then, late at night and leaving early in the morning. At some point, our paths crossed and he revealed that he was a casting agent. While we spoke, newspaper articles flashed before me (a private tutorial that only I could see) telling of how this man was respected in the business and further afield, and was treated like royalty. Indeed, the rulers of our country referred to him as 'Minister' and it was suggested that he may later pursue a career in politics. He was of dark complexion, wore suits and glasses and, as it stated in the news, was 53; he looked somewhat younger. I immediately trusted and liked him. He gave me a card and recommended that I audition for a part he had in mind.
Next, I was in a film studio rehearsal room where various people were auditioning for roles in an Australian film that was to be made. I guessed that we were going for minor roles as the major roles would not have been cast in a cattle-call such as this. Around the room were different people in elaborate costumes. Elderly men in old-style army costumes, complete with eucalypt leaves threaded through their helmets, sat on a bench to one side of the room. Young women in gaudy clothing, possibly auditioning as sex workers, sat on the floor against a wall. I was dressed in a nun's habit: a long black tunic and a dark veil. I noticed that other women dressed as nuns had added more detail than I had: hand-woven sandles, crucifixes and so on. I was bare foot, sitting on the ground with my bag and a vegetable peeler shaped like a switchblade. My hood and veil repeatedly slipped back so that my hair ruffled and I had to keep adjusting my costume. I could see other actors with immaculate hair under their veils, held in place with simple hair clips, suitable for the role. My veil also covered my mouth and nose, exposing only my eyes. I wondered why when other nun's costumes were open-faced. We were to wait until our role was auditioned and no one could estimate when that might be. I wondered if it was actually worth my while as I had embarked on a different career and could be at home working. I was also somewhat shocked by the daring of some of the auditions as some people went to great lengths to secure the role. A large screen was set up on the feature wall so that we could all see the actor's face and person in detail, just as we would if the film was playing in the cinema. While I waited, a group of people arrived, turning into the wide hall opposite where I was sitting on the floor. I could see the man in the group and I hid even further inside my habit and veil, not wanting him to see me - here and dressed as I was. He passed by without noticing me.
Part of the story of the film was that a man loved a woman but she did not, or could not, return his love. Set inside an airy church with wide wooden pews, he gave her a blue dress and told her that one day, when she loved him, she would wear the blue dress and he would know. He would return from wherever he was in the world to be by her side. Suddenly, I knew that I would play the role of the woman.

No comments: