Wednesday 7 January 2009

died & reborn - in Tasmania!

B, a few other people and I were going somewhere. We travelled the busy streets of a city until we arrived at the entrance of a lofty sky-scraper. We ventured inside and walked through the corridors until we came to twin lifts. We pressed the button to call a lift and two lifts reached ground level at the same time. For some reason, B and someone else chose to ride one lift, whilst I stepped into the other with two men. The lifts both launched upward, scaling the floors of the building, up and up, with great speed. At some point, the men and I realised that our lift was racing too fast and had passed the level where we wanted to alight. The lift seemed to shoot out of the building into the sky, lose its momentum, then plummet back down through the building, free-falling down the shaft, out of control. I had had other falling lift experiences (in dreams) but I knew that this was different. I knew that the weight of the lift, falling from such an immense height, was far too much and that we would most likely die on impact. Rather than panicking, I leaned against the wall, closed my eyes and thanked God for my life on Earth. In the minute amount of time that it took to crash, I remembered as much as I could of my family and close ones, and recalled the beauty of nature. We hit the ground and everything went black. When I opened my eyes, I was in a different place with many other people, most of whom seemed to be of a similar age. I looked around and saw my friend, A, who had recently died. I was overjoyed to see her as she was to see me. She took my hand, leading me to the showers, where I stood under the water, fully clothed, and washed off my make-up and traces of my last life. We went outside and stretched out before me was the most magnificent landscape: tall eucalypts with grey green bark, intricately shaped shrubs bearing golden flowers, and a placid sea of blue water. I asked her where we were, now that we were dead, and she told me that we were in Tasmania. I was very surprised, having expected to arrive somewhere between worlds or at least more ethereal, but it seemed that I had died and been reborn in Tasmania. My mobile phone rang and I raced to open my bag in time to answer it before it went through to the message service, thinking it might be B or one of my family. I answered the phone but a mocking recorded voice spoke to me, suggesting that now I was dead, I might give my permission for everything I owned to be used as part payment for outstanding debt. I disconnected the call and cried. A asked me what was wrong and I told her that I felt so sorry for my family and for B who would be very grieved by my death. I mourned for them. She comforted me, knowing that this was valid, but then pointed the way forward, into the Tasmanian landscape. I then felt a sense of peace and optimism.

No comments: