Tuesday 13 January 2009

song of frida

I was visiting a friend's house while he wasn't home, early in the evening. The television was on and a recently released music video clip was screening. I realised that it was my friend's wife, singing a fantastic song. She was dressed to resemble Frida Kahlo: her hair was parted in the middle and drawn up on either side of her head, curled into platted coils; she wore a dark green man's suit; and she had a monobrow drawn skillfully above her eyes. She looked great - both cheeky and dramatic. She sang in front of a painted mural backdrop featuring large bright red flowers and oversized green leaves, much like some of the flora featured in Kahlo's works. I was amazed as I had no idea that she was such an original and gifted performer. After the song, the program went on to show excerpts of some of her live concerts. It seemed that it was a career that she stumbled upon after throwing caution to the wind and doing exactly what she wanted. I went to find my friend; he was finishing up at work, turning off the lights and preparing to leave. We went back to his house and he showed me a cd of her songs. The cd was called "mandalana' or 'amandala' or something like that. I was very impressed.

No comments: