Monday 12 January 2009

snakes

I was running down the street I know best in the world, the street where I lived with my family - in two different houses - and the street where my grandparents lived. It had been raining and the ground was damp underfoot. I saw something long and thin slither across the grass - a snake. I was not frightened but did my best to avoid the snake and, similarly, the snake kept a guarded distance from me. I saw another snake disappear into the overgrown rose bushes, and a third and a fourth. There were snakes everywhere of different shades of brown, green, orange and black, and of varying sizes. Still, I was not frightened nor did the snakes seemed perturbed by my presence. I ran down the hill, observing the snakes, until, passing my original home, I lifted off the ground and travelled the rest of the way down the hill, flying through the air. From above the trees, I could see snakes coiled around the branches and gliding across the grass below. Snakes everywhere, and yet, I was not afraid.

No comments: