Thursday 1 January 2009

preparing to perform & a tip for recognition

I walked into a large field. Unusual plants, much like the succulents that grow wild across the sand on the shore of many beaches, covered the ground. I stopped to put on my shoes and then walked across the field. I discovered that a huge event was held here regularly: a concert of sorts. There was a vast auditorium in the middle of the field and people were lining up to get in. I went into the low-set buildings opposite the auditorium where the changing rooms were, to get ready for my performance. Inside the changing room was a clothes rack housing a wardrobe of fabulous outfits. I selected a long purple skirt and an elaborate white blouse, wrapped my head in a purple scarf and applied deep scarlet lipstick to my lips. George Clooney and Brad Pitt walked in, also preparing for their performance. George selected an amazing pink suit and Brad chose an equally eye-catching pale blue suit and they changed into them. George asked me my name and, being a little shy, I spoke quickly. "Chris," I said. He asked if I would mind if he gave me a tip and, of course, I listened. He said that when someone asked me my name, I should take my time to respond, to deliver the words clearly. He suggested I say, "My name is Christine. You can call me Chris." That way people would remember my name and respect me, just as I have respected myself. I applied pink mascara to my eyelashes and then I was ready. We left the changing rooms and crossed the grounds to the door of the auditorium. The concert was underway and there were many people seated inside although there were plenty of empty seats. I went inside and sat down the front, watching the performances. I recognised the woman I sat next to as a girl I knew when I was young. I said hello and she could see that she knew me from somewhere but couldn't recall how. I told her I was Chris Sharp - again I said my name quickly and unclearly. She looked vague and said she couldn't place me. I watched the show, wondering exactly what I was going to do when it came my turn to perform; would I sing, or speak or something else.

No comments: