Thursday 5 February 2009

cats

I was visiting a friend at his parents' home. Their home was nothing like their real house. This was a one-level mansion spread across vast grounds. It was immaculately tidy and clean, so much so that I was amazed they could keep it this pristine. I waited for my friend in the long living room; no one else was in this part of the house. I had the sense that they were all sleeping. I sat back on the opulent lounge and stroked their cat. The cat was remarkably similar to a cat I had several years ago, Felicity. She was grey with a white belly and paws. The cat laid on her back, stretched out, and I tentatively ran my fingers across her belly, wondering if she would bite. She was very gentle and even patted at my hand with her paw. Suddenly, a black and white kitten ran through the room and the grey cat roused herself and ran after the kitten. I stood and walked across to the windows, wondering what drew them outside. I could see two other cats, both very big but one particularly enormous (the size of a large dog), mating with the cats.

No comments: