Thursday 5 February 2009

werewolf

I was lying in bed in an old apartment with my partner. The wind was blowing and I could see some old floral curtains flapping wildly in the wind, but they were hanging from a curtain rod outside on the balcony rather than inside the room. It seemed as though we had been cleaning or renovating and had left the job half-done. A small fluffy dog chained up outside on the balcony began barking madly. I wrapped a white towel around myself and walked over to the wooden-framed glass doors that led out to the balcony. I remember finding a silver key and turning it in the lock; the lock was somewhat loose in the door. I stepped onto the balcony, patted the dog, and looked down into the next-door neighbour's yard, trying to see what was worrying the dog. There was nothing there. I turned slightly so that I was looking down into our own yard. I could see a naked man, crouched down, patting a huge grey dog. The man was enormous, thick set, tall and grossly muscular. He had white hair covering his body, particularly on his chest and his face. I realised he was a werewolf. He looked up and saw that I had seen him. I immediately became aware of the white towel that was now draped around my head, like the depictions of Mary. I went inside and walked around the apartment, locking the doors leading to the outside, certain that he would come after me. Each door had the same loose lock and the doors were old and rickety. I had the dog with me and we stood behind the closed doors, listening to the wind. I knew that the doors and the little dog were not match enough for such a powerful predator and I decided that everything should change. I willed the doors to be strong metal doors like bank safe doors and they were. I willed the dog to become two dogs, both large, and it occurred. I then stood in the kitchen, hidden around a corner, as I still felt as though he might be strong enough to enter. Indeed, he did. I did not see how he came in or hear what happened but soon he prowled around the corner, now clothed, looking less like a werewolf and more like a man. He was wearing a tight white t-shirt with some sort of wording on the chest but I could still see his over-developed muscles as he towered above me. I drew an invisible, possibly imaginary, knife and stabbed him straight through the heart. I thrust the knife with all the force I could muster and said, "Do you know who I am?" He looked completely surprised, taken aback, and stepped away from me. A few times I asked him, "Do you know who I am?" He stared at me a moment and then collapsed, face down on the floor, and died.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christine I admire your blog enormously.
I have to admit I am envious of your vivid dream recall and the ability you show in writing them down.
For over eight years I have maintained a dream diary. This is a process I enjoy, however I can never remember dream detail and the sequence of events as well as you have.