Wednesday 30 July 2008

split in two & chicks

I was lying on a large window sill, parallel to the window, with my brother who was also lying parallel with his head at my feet, so that if we were standing up, I would be standing on his head. As we gazed out the window to the sky, I felt the ground beneath me shift. I felt the floor was tipping away from the rest of the house, that our combined weight was too much and we were going to slip out the window. I felt so panicked that I split in two: my spirit left my body and went outside the house so that I could see what was going on. From outside, I could see that the floor was indeed tipping and that my brother and I were in danger. I called out to him and he rolled back inside, but my body remained, lying next to the window. My spirit ran back up the stairs but by the time I reached my body, it had moved. My brother told me that a baby chicken, a chick, had wandered over to my body and, being protective, my body had sheltered the chick and taken it to safety. I then saw my body walk through the room wearing a long white undergarment with a structured skirt, held out with hoops and bones, so that you could see through it to my skin. It was a petticoat like the ones worn in times gone by that held huge ballooning dresses in place. I could see through the skirt to the ground where perhaps fifty tiny chicks gathered around my body's ankles; they scuttled about me and moved like a cloud of yellow down as I walked.

No comments: