Monday 7 July 2008

leaving and dogs

I was standing inside a house that I was leaving. Other people had also left. They had gathered in the hills surrounding the house, camping there, preparing for a journey ahead. I could see their tents from the window where I stood, about to jump out and join them. I realised that I needed more provisions: warmer clothing, toiletries and money. I was also worried about which shoes to wear, thinking that I needed something suitable for walking long distances. I went back into the bedroom to collect more of my things. A family of about eight or ten people walked into the room and I did my best to deal with their children touching and interfering with my things. Whilst I answered their questions, I saw, out of the corner of my eye, the father steal money from my wallet. I went to him and asked for it, telling him that I needed it. He immediately returned it. I also noticed that one of the younger family members had taken my shampoo. I told the father and asked if he could get it back for me, saying that my hair would fall out without it. I knew that it wouldn't, but I felt that I needed to exaggerate to convince him. They left and I waited awhile but no one returned with the shampoo. I decided to follow them, finding them in an apartment like a small room, overcrowded by the large family. I sat down with them on cushions on the floor, and asked for what was mine. I was very careful not to sound as though I doubted their honesty. To my left sat the mother of the family. She was very beautiful with blue eyes and a dark complexion; mixed race but with an Indian parent. I liked her and we began to talk, but her two dogs sat either side of me, nuzzling against my legs, and attempting to chew my hands. I had my hands tucked under my thighs, uncomfortable as I tried to listen to what the woman said, but also trying to protect my hands from the dogs. I felt self-conscious and hoped she wouldn't notice how her dogs were treating me. At one stage, the dogs ran across the room and I realised that they were half the size I thought they were, but then they returned to try to maul my hands, and they felt bigger again. I knew that they were not vicious, they were only playing, but I felt powerless against them.

No comments: