Friday 25 July 2008

friendship & fences

I accepted a lift to university. The woman driving the car seemed to be the grown-up version of a child I knew when I was little. We had a certain familiarity that you have with those who you have known all your life. At one stage, she braked quickly and I fell out of the car, laughing. She pulled me back in and delivered me to the university grounds. Once there, I saw a lecturer and her child, waiting for me. They peered into the car but I didn't introduce my friend as I couldn't be sure I would remember her name. I waved goodbye and walked with the lecturer and little girl into a big building on our right. I remember thinking that it was not the way I would normally go, and I felt a greater pull to go into the building on our left where I thought I glimpsed a friend. Never-the-less, I followed her into the building and we walked around the bookshop there, where I also sensed that the lecturer had lost interest in my company. I left her and went to find my friend in the other building. There, I settled in.
Next, I was sitting there with my partner, B, and my friend, F, walked in. They excused themselves and went to have a private discussion. I was pleased as I was not sure that they would get on with one another. When they returned, we all sat down in seats that were arranged as though we were an audience waiting for a show. There were, however, no performers. Suddenly, F and B began singing and danced out the front. They performed a duet that was surprisingly harmonious. I looked across and saw F's partner in the audience. I put my hand on the back of her seat and said that we might have to organise a duet next. She was very warm in response, placing her hand on mine, and agreed. I was taken aback by her tenderness.
Next, a woman, who I understood to be a lecturer, sat with us to my left. She was wearing a turquoise top with a very open neckline and no bra. Every so often she put her hand to her breast. I was concerned that she might be in pain or may be ill. She spoke to our group and, though I cannot recall what she spoke of, I know that her words were poignant and wise. At one stage, she asked us to undertake a vision test. We had to stare at about twenty images, all of the same design but with graduating tonality, and choose which four or five of them were the clearest. She then began to grade us. She asked two men to stand - they were twin brothers. She sent one of them outside into the night, but I wasn't sure if that was because he had done well on the test or badly. Once outside, I could see him - my spirit followed him out into the field where he was to wait. It was surrounded by high stone walls with wooden paneling framing the top. He began to kick the fence, aiming high so that his boots struck the wood. Again and again he kicked against the fence that enclosed him.
Next, the man was gone but a huge black stallion was running around the field, striking his hoofs against the fence. His body was incredibly powerful as he ran. He began to demonstrate different ways of running, even showing me how he could bend his legs and shuffle across the ground on his knees. I was so surprised by his agility and by his ability to communicate. I hoped he would break free of the fence and run away.

No comments: