Monday 28 July 2008

handicap

I was due on stage to rehearse a dance routine with a dance troupe. Wooden cabaret style chairs were placed around the stage, one for each of the dancers. I knew the routine and sat on my chair, waiting for the entire troupe to arrive. Some music was playing in the background and I tried to stand but there was no strength in my legs, particularly in my knees, so that I was frozen in a half-standing, half-sitting position. It took all of my energy to fight the weakness; the pull of gravity was monumental, but I persevered, willing my body to stand. Perspiration beads bubbled on my forehead my legs felt like jelly, but I was determined to stand so that I could dance. Finally, after exerting all my strength, I rose out of the limbo stance and stood erect. My teacher came to me and said that she wasn't sure that I could continue in the troupe with such a handicap, but again I felt determination and decided to heal my knees.

1 comment:

csharp said...

my name is christine sharp too.
www.sharpwork.com