Tuesday 22 July 2008

labyrinth

I was walking through the hallways of the Sydney Opera House which were, in my dream, a labyrinth of tunnels and passages, staircases and alcoves. I was with a close friend who was a different friend at various times in the dream ... sometimes A and sometimes someone else. I saw my friend C walking down one of the halls with a group of glamorous people, heading toward a theatre venue where we were to see a performance. I was happy to see her and walked with her a while. At one stage, deep in the bowels of the complex building, we travelled up and down stairs and, fully clothed, waded through a pool of water to cross to the other side. Finally, we were waiting outside the particular theatre in which the show was about to begin. Whilst we waited, A and I sat on a bench seat and an Indigenous performer began to recite a powerful poem. Toward the end of the poem, I covered my face with my scarf and the performer bent down and rubbed his nose against mine. I then uncovered my face and he committed my face to memory. We entered the theatre and chose seats. A and I wanted to visit the toilet but apparently the line was long and there was no time. We took our seats and waited. I felt uncomfortable, lumbered by my bulky woolen clothing, so I shed a few layers. The theatre filled with sawdust and the noise of machinery, and we realised that they had to build the set before the performance could begin. I was concerned about the air pollution and the time it would take. We considered leaving. Finally, the group began to perform and it was awful. The performance was disjointed and made very little sense. I whispered to A and we decided to leave. We did our best to exit discreetly, but the performer who I had connected with earlier, recognised me and began to chase us. We ran and A made it out the door. I remembered that I had left my shoes back at my seat so I had to retreat, collect them, and run fast, back through the exit door. I made it outside but I couldn't see my friend. I was very unsure about which way to go as there were numerous hallways and doors to choose from. I took a punt on one and walked through the maze. I saw an actor I know, sitting outside another venue and she directed me to the bathroom. Inside the toilet cubicles, toilets were either missing or out of order. Back in the hallways, I continued searching for my friend and noticed the signs hanging above doors and pointing toward theatres and bars as I went.

No comments: