Saturday 29 November 2008

voyage

I was far away, over vast seas and land masses, so far from here that I seemed to be on the other side of the world, perhaps even in a different era. I had the feeling of crossing huge distances, travelling night and day for a very long time. I can recall the slap of ice blue oceans and the flame orange heat of sandy deserts. I seemed neither to be flying above the earth or passing upon it, rather, I was both in it and separate from it, at one time being the soil and the water, and at another time slipping through a hole like a portal in the water, finding myself in another time, on another part of the planet. There was nothing civilised or industrial about this world. Everything was pristine and wild. I recall other creatures but they were nebulous of form: one moment shark-like, the next a more mammalian form. I seem to remember the sound of horse hooves drumming across stone. Great walls of azure blue water, glittering glaciers making snail slow voyages through the sea, then to the deep shining golds and ochre of ancient towering cliffs, and the unfathomable emptiness of stretching plains.

No comments: