Friday 21 November 2008

hallway, flying and money

I could see my two good friends rehearsing a trick for a show. One friend drove her car along a narrow hallway whilst the other held onto a rope and floated along behind, pulled by the car. Toward the end of the hallway, my friend would let go of the rope and float across the hallway, from one side to the other, staying in the air for as long as possible, before she gradually came to rest on the floor. I watched this trick a few times and then I tried it with them. I stood in front of my friend so that we were both lifted off the ground as the car pulled us along and then, when we let go of the rope, we floated across the hallway, back and forth, until we came to rest on the floor. It was a feat of faith - if you believed you could fly, you could.
Later, I was running along another hallway, searching for the right door to go through so that I could find my car. It was night and I passed few people as I ran. I noticed art books on shelves lining the walls at the entrance of the hallway and then doors upon doors leading to other places. At the other end of the hallway, I found an old friend. She asked me to return a leaflet that she had loaned to me some time before. I started to search through my papers and books that appeared on shelves and desks, looking for the leaflet. I found old cheques, written out to me, that I had not cashed.

No comments: