Friday 28 November 2008

haze

I was desperately sleepy and I wanted to go home to bed. I walked along the street where I knew I lived, but I couldn't recall which was my house. It was in the early hours of the morning around four. The light was hypnotic blue and people danced in and out of the doorways, spilling onto the street. I could see parties of people, celebrating inside the old buildings, windows illuminated gold and bodies moving to music that drifted out of the houses. Most of the buildings had two or three floors with rendered walls, painted cream. I walked, my head swimming in an almost narcotic haze, from one end of the street to the other, unable to find my home. This end of the road lead straight to the sea. I knew that if I could find my friend, C, I would remember where I lived. I called her name as I walked back up the street, away from the ocean. I saw my friend run out of one of the buildings and hail down a car. The car turned, pulled up beside her and she hopped in. I called again but I could see she hadn't heard me. Then the car drove up toward where I stood, waving, and I could see the smiling faces of C and her brother. I knew they would take me home.

No comments: