Tuesday 18 November 2008

leech

I was terribly thirsty so I bent to drink from an outside tap. As I sipped the water, I worried that it might be contaminated or that creatures might live inside the pipes. I stood and a huge leech slipped out of the tap and bore straight into the flesh of my stomach. The leech was about the length of an average house brick and wormy pink, with a thin 'tail' at either end. Just before the leech fully disappeared inside me, I grabbed the tail between my fingers and pulled hard. I slowly dragged it out and then threw the leech as far away as I could throw it. It shot back across the ground and leapt into the air toward me. Again, I grabbed the leech as it attempted to burrow into my skin. This time, the leech changed shape as I held it tightly in my fingers: six or seven leech heads on stalks flowered out of one end and waved around, orange mouths gaping wide, filled with small sharp teeth. The leech tried to suck at my hand, drawing blood at one end and, while I tried to pull it off, the other end of the leech continued its attempts to burrow into my flesh. Suddenly the leech reverted to its former singular shape and shot across to a small child, boring into her body. Again, I grabbed the leech by the tail before it could disappear and pulled it out.

No comments: