Friday 8 August 2008

unsteady

B and I were visiting K, a close friend. We were sitting in her lounge room and her baby was sleeping in the adjoining bedroom. Her mother walked in and joined us. It didn't strike me as odd at the time though she is no longer with us in waking life. We had a good conversation and then it was time to go. B and K went into the bedroom to see the baby and I intended to, but as I stood I felt unsteady on my feet. I had to haul myself up, leaning heavily on the back of the chair, and then as I walked across the room, I stumbled into furniture. The mother seemed not to notice and continued chatting with me. I missed the opportunity to see the baby as I was far too slow moving and felt I couldn't trust my body not to fall and wake him.
Next B and I were travelling up a street in our neighbourhood. I experienced the same unsteady, giddy feeling and fell onto the ground. B helped me up and we were observed by an older woman who was standing at the front window of her art gallery. The gallery was in a terrace house and I could see that there were three levels: below ground, ground level and an upstairs level. I wanted to go in but thought it best that I should visit another time as I might knock something over if I fell again.

No comments: