Friday 15 August 2008

reckless driving

I was in Newcastle, standing outside the house my family built. A blue VW came along the street and parked outside. I don't know who was driving it. I jumped in and drove around the block a few times, pretending that this was the first time I had ever driven a car. I wanted to surprise my family with my seemingly innate driving skills. I was going a little too fast, steering wildly around the corners, but I was enjoying the ride. I drove further away, around the immediate suburb, sitting high in the seat as though perched on the car like riding a bike rather that sitting inside it. I then realised three things: I was not wearing a seatbelt; this was a manual car and, although in waking life I have driven manual cars for years, I could not recall how to change gears; and I couldn't reach the breaks. I hurtled along, looking for a good place to pull over so I could put on the seat belt but the suburb had developed a lot and was much busier than when I lived there, over twenty years ago. The road sides were jammed tight with parked cars or else had yellow lines and 'no stopping' signs, warning against parking. I slowed at the traffic lights using the upward sloping hill as a means to decrease my pace; they turned green before I could adjust the seat belt or observe the gears to jog my memory about how to drive this car well. I turned up the street toward home, again using the slope to decrease my speed, and saw another car driving in the wrong lane, heading directly toward me. I sounded the horn and the driver shifted into the correct lane, but looked at me, disgruntled, as though I shouldn't have honked. I then saw that the road was semi-blocked off and that police cars were manning the area. I was nervous as I drove through, aware that at any moment I could be stopped and booked for not wearing my seat belt.

No comments: