Monday 25 August 2008

each bigger than the last

I was with my friend in the dark and she was crying. I didn't know why but to make her feel better, I found what I thought was a coarse and scratchy cloth, and rubbed her back with it. It seemed to help and she quieted her crying and felt better. I looked around us as the light brightened and realised that we were on King Street in Newcastle, looking through the windows of a boutique. Inside were beautiful designer clothes, hanging around the walls. I could see that the fabrics were of a fine quality: luxurious silks, draping velvets, sheer gauzes, in wonderful rich colours and crafted into superb garments. I decided to come back here soon, when I was in a position to shop. We walked out of the shop through the glass door and I realised I was still carrying the cloth with which I had rubbed my friend's back. I looked at it and saw that it was actually an extremely beautiful top made of sheer creamy silk decorated with bronze sequins. I quietly slipped back into the shop and arranged it on a glass shelf so that it looked like a display, and left before anyone noticed me. I caught up with my friend, walking back up the street, but we heard barking and looked around to see guard dogs, agitated, sniffing out an intruder. I felt that it must be me, that someone thought that I intended to steal the top. The dogs stopped at the boundaries of the land where the shop was built. Narrow trenches marked the border of the property and we could see behind the shop to vacant land out the back. There were at least six dogs that we could see, snarling and stalking their prey, each bigger than the last. We could also see the corpses of a couple of dogs that they had killed, wasting on the barren vacant lot. We walked away quickly, passing some houses on our right. A woman and child returned home - it was growing late in the day - and we saw the flash of a small golden puppy whisk by. Immediately, a huge lion raced past, golden mane flying back in curls like the lion from The Wizard of Oz, and disappeared into the house. I followed, looking for the lion, but when I searched the property, there was no lion to be seen, just the small golden puppy.
Next, I was sitting with many other people on the rim of the Newcastle cliffs, overlooking the ocean. We were simultaneously watching the waves and watching a documentary about a freak wave incident in which one man, referred to as 'The Fireman', had saved the day and earned a medal. The camera scanned over the faces of the cast of a musical, all men, singing, wearing fire fighter uniforms. Each man appeared to be tougher looking, braver than the next as we wondered which of these men would turn out to be 'The Fireman'. Finally the camera rested on the face of a man, not as handsome or of traditionally heroic appearance as the others around, who turned out to be him. He sang with gusto, his face creasing into happy weathered lines, whist the documentary showed recreated footage of him saving people in the freak wave.
The documentary finished and our attention turned to the present. Someone said that we were expecting a tsunami today. I wondered why then we were perched on the cliffs watching the waves, rather than travelling as far from here as possible. I sat with a man, very much like 'The Fireman' and saw the first wave coming: a giant wave but just the predecessor of the biggest wave. The wave hit us on the cliff and we all lay down, flat to the ground, feeling it thunder over us. The man lay on top of me, further shielding me from the impact. It passed and we all sat back up, watching the water as another wave grew and approached. Again, we pressed ourselves flat to the ground, going under the wave rather than fighting it. More waves grew and approached, each bigger than the last, and we knew to expect eleven of these mammoth waves rising out of the ocean.

No comments: