Monday 11 August 2008

giant wave of change

I was searching for a place that we could go for a few days to get away, hopefully by the sea. I searched the Internet but the places I found for the budget I had were inappropriate - temporary houses made of cardboard, run down hotels, or nice places near the water that were too costly. I can remember seeing the prices of the places listed change as I watched them, rising or falling unpredictably. Suddenly we were staying in a house on a bay. The house had a rather old feel about it and was furnished with 70s style lounge chairs and furniture in browns and green. I left the bedroom, walked into the living room where some of my family were seated, and went to look out the large glass doors. I could see a vast body of water and an old wooden jetty below the house, down a steep cliff. The day was overcast with a green tinge to the sky and the water looked deep and brownish green. I was trying to ascertain if it would be safe to swim here. I glanced into the far horizon for a moment when I saw, out of the corner of my eye, something move in the water below, perhaps fish jumping. I wondered if there was something under the water scaring the fish. As I looked, I began to make out a fish-shaped shadow lurking in the water. It stayed relatively still and I wondered if it was a shark. It became clearer still and I could see that it was a giant fish, much like a gold fish but perhaps four metres long, waiting in the water. Suddenly, I was in the water down below the house, swimming with my sister or my brother: there was only one sibling with me but at times it was one of them and then the other - they were interchangeable. We felt unsettled as we swam and then saw a huge king wave coming. I knew that there was something dire wrong with the environment, that this was a point of great crisis. I felt the pull and drag of the water as the wave approached so I grabbed my sibling's hand and we dived as deep as we could go whilst the wave thundered over our heads. Surfacing, I saw the wave hit the cliff on which the house was perched, the tip of the wave slamming into the house, water rushing in the open glass doors. We saw another wave approaching so again we dived, waiting for the wave to pass. We surfaced and saw a third wave about to strike; we gulped air deep into our lungs and dived a third time. This time the wave seemed to go on and on. I held onto my sibling, forcing him/her to stay below for fear of surfacing to soon and being crushed by the power of the mammoth wave crashing against the cliff. When we finally surfaced, we were out of breath but safe. There were no more waves visible against the horizon. We climbed out of the water and ran up the stone stairs cut into the cliff, all the way back up to the house. My brother/sister splashed straight through the house and out onto the street, searching for our family. Before joining them, I went first to the bedroom, wading through ankle-deep water, to check if my friend was alright, but the room was bare. I looked for my handbag so we would have some money but it was gone. I supposed my friend must have grabbed it for me. I went to leave but hesitated, trying to think if there was anything else I should take to help us survive what felt like disaster and imminent homelessness. I thought about taking thongs so I could walk on stones under the water in this changed landscape, but felt that my feet would adapt as we walked. I went outside and saw my family waiting on the other side of the street. My friend was with them but the handbag was missing. I ran over, anxious about the wellbeing of everyone but glad that they were all there, and my friend began to talk about feeling exhausted. I felt it was strange considering the scale of what had just transpired that my friend was focussed on her own concerns.

No comments: