Wednesday 18 June 2008

unit and letters

We had moved into a ground floor unit on the other side of the city. My bedroom had a window opening out to the left-hand side of the large house that had been divided into one and two bedroom units. I was half asleep in the bedroom, lying on top of the bed. Everything was messy and I did not feel at home. In my half-sleep, I rolled out the window and landed on the dirt path that ran down the side of the house. I woke properly and walked around to the front of the house where B was standing on the driveway. I felt that things needed to be put into order and so I checked the letterbox to see if anything had arrived at the new address. Sure enough, there was a great pile of letters, many of them addressed to me. I scooped up the pile and took them back to my bedroom, intending to sort through them there. I entered back through the window instead of through a door. On the bed was a note from SB. I wondered how she had known where we lived since we had arrived so recently, and I marveled that I had only been out to the driveway and back but I had missed her visit.

No comments: