Monday 2 June 2008

out too late

I went to university, intending to be only an hour or so. I parked in the street adjacent to the university grounds in a two hour zone. The uni strongly resembled the high school I attended, rather than the university. Once there, I went to A Block and did whatever it was I needed to do. I met a young woman who I immediately liked; she was a performer and we sat down, wrapped in a conversation about opportunity and the arts. As we talked, she turned into a youngish man, who appeared to have taken a liking to me. I felt uncomfortable, realising how much time had passed and that I needed to get home to my partner. I offered him a lift home and we went to where I thought I had left my car, inside A Block near the maths rooms. There was a line of red cars parked far too close to one another, but none of them were mine. He said that one of them was his car and I wondered why he had accepted my offer of a lift. I remembered that my car was parked on the street and I became even more nervous as I knew that about four hours had passed. I hoped I had not been booked or towed. I left him and went out through the school gates into the night, finding my car where I had left it but with a ticket on the windscreen and something flashing inside the car. I hopped in and realised that the authorities had removed elements of my dashboard—it was hanging by thin wires and small red lights were flashing. I decided to ring B to tell her where I was and ask what to do. I called and my sister answered the phone. She told me how happy she was to be staying with us. I asked to speak to B but my sister told me that she had given up waiting and had gone to work so that she would stop worrying about where I was. I didn’t know what to do.

No comments: