Thursday 12 June 2008

books, sensuality and night

I went underground, down into the tunnels of a train station. I carried with me my handbag and a collection of treasured books. I met some young men who were friendly enough but stole my books from me. I left my handbag and my boots in a corner and ran through the tunnels, searching for my belongings. I could see a couple of people carrying my books away. I spoke with one woman who had taken a book that was not mine and I asked her to pay for it as I would need to reimburse the woman who had lent it to me. She agreed, gave me some money, and walked away with the book. I had to let go of the other books and I hoped that whoever had them now would appreciate them. I went back to find my handbag and boots where I had left them and put them back on.

Next, I was reclining in a chair, in a room with other women and I was flicking through a magazine with decadent pictures of fashion, art and beauty. I came to a feature on illustration depicting women and bodies in a sensual style. I became aware of my own body and realised that I was naked under my dress which was bunched up around my thighs. B came in with two bowls of chocolate ice cream, one of which she placed on the table in front of me. (In waking life I don't eat ice cream at all.) I attempted to sit up properly to eat the ice cream but I was so relaxed that I could hardly move. I saw that the ice cream was spilling over the side of the rather beautiful brown earthenware bowl, and tried to right it. I moved it from on top of the pile of typed pages that it was sitting on. Still, the ice cream pooled toward the lip of the bowl, almost spilling onto the table. Again I went to level the bowl but this time B whispered 'allow me'.

Next, we were walking at night time through an unknown suburb. We passed a park and I felt trepidation, not sure who would be lurking there. We saw a few couples loitering but no one of bad intent. We ventured down a dark, narrow street flanked by sleeping houses on both sides. My sense of danger grew as we walked further along the street. A group of about six young men came into view. They were like lithe shadows frisking and tussling as they came nearer, obviously drunk and leaving a party. Most of them passed us without trouble but one began to throw empty wine bottles at us. I caught the first one by the neck, the second smashed on the ground beside us. The third and fourth I caught easily. The group travelled on.

I realised that I was alone and wondered where B had gone. I ran up to the end of the street and there she was, inside a stranger's car, parking it. She had been able to pick the lock and move the car that had been left in the middle of the road. I felt admiration for her fearlessness and skill.

No comments: