Monday 10 December 2007

nightmare spell

I was living in the street where my parents live in Newcastle. I had an apartment underneath their town house, accessible via an entrance down a path running alongside their house. Across the road was a huge old house, built in the early days of Newcastle’s settlement. The house had two or three floors, the bottom floor lower than street level; stone steps led steeply down from the road to the front door. A lady as old as can be imagined—pruned, almost mummified— lived in the house. In the daylight hours I had visited her house, uninvited. I do not remember why, just a sense that I had been there whilst she was out of the house. Now, it was night and I was compelled to go outside in the dark while the neighbourhood was sleeping. There was a wild wind blowing and the ground seemed to shift under my feet. Everything was dark, shadowed, but across the street I could see the lights on in her house and the silhouette of the old woman clattering about, pacing the floor. I could hear her voice through the wind (or perhaps carried by it) chanting, appealing, She seemed to be drawing me to her, calling me in. I was on the footpath outside my house, the wind pulling me to her. I struggled to climb the grassy slope into my parents front garden, but the wind and the shifting ground conspired to drag me, take me, across the road to her house. The ground became sand, softer and unstable, and I was magicked slowly to the top of the stone steps. I reached out in the dark and felt the cold, rough stone under my fingertips. I found a new strength, desperate not to be dragged into the well of her front yard, and fought my way through the invisible tide, back across the road. I reached the grassy slope once again and drew on all my energy to climb it. I became entangled in fencing wire and rose bushes, unable to go any further. I cried out for help, hoping that someone would wake. A woman I know appeared from inside the house and came for me. Strangely, she looked calm and unaffected by the howling wind and the moving ground, and looked at me with kindness, somewhat perplexed by my struggle. Behind her, a mirage of B appeared, calling me toward her, encouraging me forward.

No comments: