Monday 10 December 2007

house in alstonville

I found a deceased estate property in Alstonville, northern NSW, or rather, I came upon it. A house surrounded by a vast grassy stretch and protected from the road by a steep hill on one side; the house was not visible from the street. There were other people there, but I knew that I was now the rightful owner of the house though I might not live there immediately. I walked through the house, from room to room, spreading mulch made of lawn clippings, over and inside all of the cupboards, the benches, the floors and the shelves, preparing the house. Someone asked me what I was doing and, knowing it appeared odd, I could not quite explain. I just knew that I must make the house ready for growth, for fertility. My brother was there and I told him that I was going to build verandahs and a swimming pool which would be under the cover of a thin roof adjoining the house. I walked outside and could see people walking along the winding grassy path around the hill, toward the house—welcome strangers. There was a fish pond dug into the ground that was in need of attention but the gold fish were still alive.

No comments: