Tuesday 18 December 2007

festival & bad products

I was at a festival very early in the morning, walking the grounds as tents were being erected, food stalls were being set up, and before the crowds had arrived. I was walking along the edge of a short cliff, watching as people worked, contributing here and there. Someone was cooking food and I noticed that the flames had crept out of the fire pit and licked the nearby foliage. No one was concerned even as I drew their attention to it. Soon the flames had engulfed surrounding trees in a long line; a fire trail framed the edge of the cliff. Still, nobody was worried. I walked down the hill and across a vast field where later there would be entertainment. I sat down against a wall close to the entrance of the entire area, waiting for my brother who soon arrived with a couple of others. They were hungry so I pointed out the food stalls back up on the cliff. We could see queues of people now lined up; many of them seemed to be dressed in brightly coloured saris – brilliant yellows and hot pinks. I urged them to go now before the crowds thickened and asked if they would also get me something to eat. Whilst I waited for them, I looked at a product for sale: containers of kephir yogurt that were piled into a pyramid, with white, dark green and red packaging. I was going to buy some until a woman told me that she thought it was a bad product. My brother returned with food but had been unable to buy me anything that I could eat – there was nothing without wheat.
Later, I went to David Jones. As I walked down the aisle, I spied a table of unusual leather bags under a sign saying 50% off. I could see in particular a stylish black bag that was, for some reason, called a smoking bag. As I approached the table, someone removed the sign and instead erected another saying a further 25% off. I was quite excited and inspected the bag with intention to buy until a woman called my name and said that it wasn’t the bag that I needed, that it was a bad product. I left the bag and walked through the store with the woman. She changed into a younger girl wearing a school uniform and we talked about her job at the store. It was Christmas time.

No comments: