Friday 12 September 2008

bomb and haunted street

I was in Paddington in Brisbane and somehow I became involved with a man who was planning an attack on the neighbourhood. I didn't much like him and felt anxious in his presence. At some point, I was with my friend F, walking up a completely deserted Caxton Street, when the man ran past, threw something at me and ran away. I caught what he threw and then looked down to see that I was holding a bomb. I didn't know what to do or if it was real. A vast drain opened before me underneath a terrace house so I threw the bomb down the drain. I had no idea if it would explode but I hoped that I had averted a disaster. Nothing happened. I walked over and looked through the window of the house above the drain and it turned out to be a restaurant. It was Christmas day and a family I know was dining in the front room of the restaurant. The mother, who used to be my singing teacher, saw me and came out to say hello. Through the glass I could see the rest of the family enjoying each others' company. The mother emerged from the wooden doored entrance and I noticed the lovely floral fabric of the loose dress that she was wearing and her beautiful red hair. We hugged one another warmly and walked across the street. I wanted to get the rest of the family out of the building, just in case the bomb blew up, but for some reason I could not speak of the bomb openly. The woman and I went into a shop across the road. We opened the glass swinging door, sounding a bell, and slipped into the quiet shop. Its shelves were lined with old books and dust. There was no one in attendance. After a while, we went back out and I noticed that that my singing teacher friend was holding a small dog with a funny shaped snout. She said that she was glad that I had given her the dog whilst we were in the shop but I knew I had not given it to her. I then realised that the street was haunted. We crossed back over the road and she passed the dog to me. I stroked his silky hair and nursed him whilst we went into a vintage shop. I was still concerned about the bomb somewhere in the drain below the restaurant where her family were eating a Christmas lunch, but I followed her into the shop.

No comments: