Monday 1 September 2008

kidnapped

I was kidnapped by a married couple, much like a couple I know in waking life. They took me from where I was camped with many other people and, after a time, we drove away up the coast. I gathered that the original camping site was somewhere around Bellingen and we were heading toward Queensland. We stopped at a service station so they could get some petrol and food. Whilst they were paying, I tried to tell a man, quietly, that I had been kidnapped; I asked for his help. I could see that he didn't believe me and walked away. Outside, walking back to the car, I felt cold, poorly dressed for the oncoming night. I saw a woman walk toward me dressed in long red velvet robes. She raised her eyebrows but I wasn't sure if she was suspicious of us, or merely commenting on my state of dress - I was disheveled and underdressed. The kidnapper woman pulled at my arm and shoved me into the car and we drove off until we reached a beach further up the coast. The couple seemed to be walking thin line between being kind and being cruel. They gave me some food to eat and we sat on the shore, looking at the moon and the land across the sea, which seemed to be lit up by sunlight and glowed with warmth, while we sat here in the dark and cold. A few days later, we were in a room with a few other people. The couple addressed me by a fictitious name. A woman that I knew when she was a girl came in spoke with the couple but slipped me a note which I hid under the piece of paper I was writing on. I could see that she recognised me and knew that something was terribly amiss. I put both pieces of paper in my handbag and put it aside to read later when the opportunity arose. There seemed to be pages and pages of paper stuffed into my bag and I tried to push it down so as not to arouse the kidnappers' suspicion. Meanwhile, the kidnapper man fell asleep and another man came in carrying precious stones and jewels. He lay them out on a low table, spreading them with his palm, until the table glittered with stones. The kidnapper woman seemed enthralled and even benevolent for a moment while her husband was asleep. She allowed me to scoop up beautiful stones and hold them in both hands, admiring them for just a moment. They shone brilliantly: lustrous pearls, nuggets of silver, warm pink stones and stones that gleamed with every colour of the rainbow. One stone, a rose quartz, dropped onto the ground and woke the man, but as he woke, I realised that he was both the man sleeping and the man with the stones. I woke.

No comments: