Tuesday 20 May 2008

healers

I was sitting at a table. B and I were on one side of the table and two people, healers, were sitting on the other. They were showing us a ritual that was supposed to aide in the healing process. As they demonstrated, the ritual became increasingly dubious. It involved placing a shiny green sequin on the tip of your index finger and sticking it to the centre of your forehead, then flipping it over a few times without dropping it. There were others around us who seemed to believe what the couple were teaching, but B and I were very skeptical – it was only a sequin.

Later, B and I walked into a café which the male healer now owned. We sampled one of his dishes: an avocado, baby spinach and snail salad in a pumpkin puree. He implied that it had special healing properties. Again, I was uncertain.

Later again, he was sitting in a room, singing against the far back wall, playing the guitar and singing a song. The song had a country feel to it and he was singing with a slight American accent. He hardly seemed like the same man and I quite enjoyed his song, but again, I wondered about the truth of the situation and who he really was.

No comments: