Tuesday 20 May 2008

haircut

I was in Newcastle and I decided that I needed a haircut. I walked along a busy street, searching for a hair salon. I found one that had time for an appointment. I sat down and the young hair stylist wrapped a smock around my shoulders and proceeded to comb through my hair. Someone else was speaking with me so I was momentarily distracted from what she was doing. When my attention returned to her, I realised that she had parted my hair around my head and was preparing to streak the crown section. I thought that the method she was using was dated. I also began to watch her in the mirror and noticed that she rolled her eyes and appeared to be bored with her work. I stopped her and told her that I did not want to continue with the hair appointment and when she asked why, I told her that she was obviously jaded with her career, that her vibration was negative and that I did not want to risk a bad haircut. She was initially offended but then agreed that she was, indeed, bored and frustrated with her job. I suggested that she search for something more fulfilling to her and then left the salon. I still wanted to get my hair done, so I continued looking for a hairdresser. I could see a large shopping centre across the road, so I made my way up the street to the crossing. I was half walking, half gliding along the footpath and as I walked, I realised that I missed my car that was back in Brisbane. I entered the car park which fronted the shopping complex, and noticed that there were very few cars parked there. Upon entering the shopping centre, I realised that it must be a public holiday as only the supermarket was open, and the rest of the complex was in semi-darkness. I travelled up the escalator to the next level, just in case I found an open hair salon. From this level, I could see down to the other levels of the centre. There seemed to be some construction happening and there was no railing on the balcony wall. Just as I realised this, I heard footsteps behind me and I felt vulnerable. It turned out to be a youngish man who went to walk by, but I swayed and fell to the ground, suddenly feeling very strange about the lack of railing and the unfinished mezzanine floor, as though we might fall to our deaths. The man stopped to help me get to my feet and encouraged me to keep walking.

No comments: