Wednesday 5 March 2008

tiny

I was lying in bed when someone came into the bedroom, offering me a banana sandwich. I could see the thick slices of banana, wedged between two slices of brown bread. (I haven’t had a banana sandwich in about twenty years.) I went into the living area and then returned to the bedroom to wake B, so she could have a sandwich too. She was still asleep but she had shrunk a lot; she was now only the size of a small kitten. She rolled over and was in danger of being suffocated by the soufflĂ© into which she had rolled. I picked her up gently out of the egg white mixture, cradling her in my hands. I thought I should give her a wash before I took her out to have a sandwich, so I went into the bathroom and filled the sink with lukewarm water. I wondered how to not alarm her by waking her too suddenly and how she would feel, now that she was so tiny.

No comments: