Friday 7 March 2008

shooting stars

I was sitting in my car, but I was not moving. Rather, I was parked on a street at the top of a hill, overlooking a city. Even though I was in the city, the stars in the night sky were spectacularly bright. I looked out the window, ducking my head slightly so that I could see as much of the sky as possible, and gazed into the stars. I could see the yellowish crescent moon, thin against the deep charcoal blue, and hundreds of white and yellow stars, shining like diamonds. Suddenly, a star shot across the sky, arching over the moon and disappearing behind the silhouetted horizon, leaving behind a fading, luminous tail. I turned to tell my friend and then bent down again to see the sky. A second shooting star blazed a trail across the dark sky. I watched as it jetted off; a white light moving through space. Again, I turned to my friend in the driver’s seat and told her about the sight. A third time, I dipped my head and peered out the window, and yet another star fell from its position and burnt a brilliant path across the sky.

No comments: