Friday 28 March 2008

exam

I was sitting for an exam. I completed the first few pages of the exam, answering questions that were relevant to the subject in which I was being tested. I noticed that I wrote my answers in blue pen which is unusual for me; I almost always use a black felt tipped pen. I realised that I had not written my name on the paper and I searched for the correct space to write it. I couldn’t find it and I felt confused; how would the examiners know that it was my paper? I turned to the back page and read ahead, feeling somewhat daunted and excited as the back section of the exam asked questions such as “What are your beliefs?” and “How do you feel about relationships?” I wanted to answer the questions thoughtfully and honestly. The questions challenged me to articulate my true beliefs. I also understood that the teacher was not judgmental, that he was open-minded and wise. I flicked back a couple of pages to where I was up to, deciding to address the rest of the paper in order, but couldn’t make head nor tail of the first question of the mid-section of the exam. I had to ask another person – she had finished her paper and was sitting back, texting someone on her mobile phone. I realised that the question asked if I was moving, and that the following questions related to moving house and where I was going to live. At that moment, the teacher announced that the time was up and we were to put down our pens. I had only answered the first section of the entire exam and I knew that I could not possible do well. I was disappointed, particularly as I wanted to express my thoughts on the topics raised. Instead of showing my disappointment, I said to the others at my table that it was only an exam, a small part of life, trying to place it in perspective. In truth, I had wanted to do well and felt that I had let myself down.

No comments: