Thursday 5 July 2007

lucid dream

I had a lucid dream. In ‘real-life’, the wind was howling, whistling through invisible cracks in the building. I was wakeful but slipped in and out of strange sleep. I closed my eyes and found myself in a bedroom that I thought to be mine. It was about three-thirty in the morning. I opened the door to the open-plan living space and realised that we had left loud music playing on repeat. I rushed over to the stereo and turned it off. The sound of the wind carried into the dream, filling the void left by the music, and I realised that I was dreaming. I looked around and discovered that the wind was whistling through a telephone jack. I pushed off the ground and leapt onto a table, moving through the air softly, almost flying. I reached over and switched the phone jack off. The wind quieted but could still be heard softly blowing in a thin and delicate whisper. I decided to experiment with gravity and movement, knowing that this was a dream. I jumped from the table, a grand jeté, gliding through the air and down to the ground some metres away. I then lay down on the wooden floor and levitated about thirty centimetres from the ground. I wanted to fly higher, willing myself to do so, but my body obeyed only some of my mental commands. I had a strange tingling sensation running through my limbs, as though I could not move them at all. I woke and the tingling, petrified feeling remained in my arms and legs for some time.

No comments: