Tuesday 8 January 2008

watches

I was getting ready for an occasion. I showered and dressed, although I felt somewhat underdressed in a flimsy frock and no shoes. I walked outside into a stone courtyard that was lined with boutique stores, and spied a Christian Dior shop with watches in the windows. I spent some time gazing through the glass and then went inside to look more closely at the watches which, I was surprised to discover, were very modestly priced. I was drawn to large square-faced watches set in silver with wide black leather bands. The store owner appeared and encouraged me to try them on. For some reason, I took my dress off and stood in a slip, barefoot on the stone floor. I also lifted the dress to reveal my underwear: a pair of beautiful lace bordered short style pants, which I admired for a moment in the mirror. The store owner brought me a particular watch to try on: a smaller round faced watch set in rose gold with some pink shell in the face, with a creamy leather band. I bought the watch, trusting the owner that this was the watch for me, and left the shop thinking that I had chosen a watch that was so different to the ones I liked when first entering the store.

No comments: