Tuesday 28 August 2007

trying

I was on my way to do an exam. I wasn’t prepared properly and I was trying to find time to go over my readings and notes so that I could brush up before sitting for the test. It was important to me to do well. I had a couple of hours left but it seemed to take a very long time to get to the campus. Eventually, I acknowledged that I would have to sit the exam without studying.
When I actually arrived, I went into a large room with computers on desks in lines around the room. I tried to find a computer that wasn’t already occupied but had trouble finding one. Even the computers desks that appeared to be vacant were being used by people who had temporarily left their desks.
It was dusk. I wandered around the campus and up a hill through the bush to a building housing showers and toilets. Inside, I met a family: a father and his children, three or four boys I think. They invited me over to their house for a meal. I wanted to go but felt uncertain as they seemed to be looking for a new wife/mother.
Next, I was leaving the campus with my mother. We were deciding where to go, perhaps to go to a bar for a glass of wine. We found my car and started to drive away. I was not at all sure of the way. I had to make fast decisions as the road divided suddenly and the traffic was moving very quickly. We drove up an extremely steep hill, the road narrow - only one lane. As we travelled, we caught up with a woman running up the hill in the middle of the road. I sounded my horn as we needed to keep moving fast but were stuck behind her. She moved over and we passed her but ahead were more and more people running up the hill. We suddenly realised that the hill was a dead end – literally. It simply stopped and dropped away to nothing, like a giant triangle, perhaps a kilometer high, had been built, jutting out of the ground. At the same time that we realised this, the car started to go backwards, gaining speed as we went. I pressed the brake with my foot down to the car floor, but still we gained momentum. There was no room and no time to turn around, so I had to reverse all the way back down the hill, absolutely flying, steering carefully back down the narrow road, until we reached the bottom safely and tried to find a different way to go.

No comments: