Monday 6 August 2007

dogs

I was sitting on a deck chair in a backyard, eating a bowl of food. A tiny white dog, a pup, was trying to jump on my leg and eat from my bowl. I stopped him and he made a little whining sound, but when I had finished eating, I looked for him to give him the scraps. A different dog appeared, a grey hound, so I threw it some tofu which it happily ate. Another dog appeared, a brown sausage dog, so I gave it some scraps too. There appeared on the deck chair a plate of quality meats: pastrami, proscuitto and the like. I looked for the white puppy whilst trying to protect the plate from the hungry dogs. A third new dog appeared, a grey sausage dog, which stole some meat from the plate and attempted to creep under the house. I stopped him, made him drop the meat and smacked him on the nose. Immediately, I felt awful for smacking him so I threw him a small portion of the meat that he had taken, wondering if the seemingly contrasting actions would be too confusing. I put my hand forward and the dog growled at me. I was nervous and felt that the dog had no respect for me, so I was in danger. The dog’s eyes looked from side to side and it seemed to consider biting me. While I was preoccupied with the grey sausage dog, the other dogs ate the rest of the meat on the plate. I didn’t see the white pup again.

No comments: