Tuesday 21 August 2007

makeup & dancing

I was looking in the mirror. I washed my face and immediately began to apply moisturiser. The cream did not absorb easily into my skin so I began to make patterns on my face: white stripes and swirls painted on my forehead, cheeks and chin.

Next, I was walking to an event with a childhood friend. On the way, we dropped into the cosmetics department of a large store, just on closing time. We stood looking at some beautiful products: peachy powders that sparkled under the lights, soft fragrant creams and iridescent blue shadows. My friend, standing to my left, took one of the powders and slipped it into her bag — she stole it. I was amazed, wishing I had some but glad that I was not guilty. A very authoritarian female figure ushered people out of the store. I suddenly noticed that I was missing part of my luggage: a white paper bag that contained something precious to me. My friend went out to see if it was outside whilst I looked around the counter where we were standing. The lady was waiting for us to leave but she gave me a free sample size of the blue eyeshadow. I searched for something – a small bag or container – to put the makeup in to protect it. I found the white bag inside another bigger bag that I was carrying.

We arrived at the event. There were hundreds of people sitting around on the grass and lined up around the edges of a vast field. I noticed the mother of another childhood friend walking past; she had dyed her hair blonde and was with a younger man. Loud music pumped out of speakers and I danced on the grass on the side of a hill. At first, I was the only one dancing and I didn’t really care. The music carried me and I danced looking over a wide view of the land. A young man wearing a grey jumper stood up to dance with me and then many others joined us. We danced with utter abandon. The older men at the event all began a dance to some Village People music it was both funny and fantastic. We had a great time.

No comments: