Thursday 10 September 2009

diving

Diving from a high cement platform, way down into the water below. The pool was inside a vast building and the space was in semi-darkness. It felt more like the bowels of a power station or some such thing than an inside pool. Nonetheless, the water was inviting: cold, crystal clear and iridescent blue. It took quite a bit of courage to actually leap off the platform, it was so far above the surface of the water, but I leapt off and arched my body over into a diving position. On the way down, I had time to realise that I was wearing jeans and a shirt with nothing underneath and wondered if the shirt would become transparent once wet. I plunged into the water, feeling the thrilling rush of cool, and opened my eyes to see a maze of pipes and tunnels further down below. I surfaced and swam around awhile, enjoying the buoyancy of my body. I climbed back out of the pool, up a steep metal ladder that led to the cement platform above. Once there, I could see through an internal window into the next room where a group of people were being guided around the building; students on a tour. I recognised their teacher and felt a little embarrassed as I certainly did not imagine that I looked my best. I caught sight of myself in a mirror and was somewhat dismayed by my wet, pale reflection. I decided to dive straight back into the water. I ran and leapt off the side of the platform, buzzing with the rush of it, and dived down toward the water. Just before entering the water, I realised that my clothes had dried and I didn't want them wet again. My change of mind halted the dive so that instead of shooting down into the blue, I changed directions, skimmed across the top of the water and scooped back up, landing on a lower platform. There I removed all my clothes. I was stunned that I was able to control my body in motion, in flight, and relished in this newfound power. I dived back in and practised somersaulting through the water.

No comments: