Thursday 3 September 2009

camp, suitcase-car & giant sea eagle

I was camping with my brother and his partner in a tent that had two sections - one for me and one for them. We seemed to be on the outskirts of a large camp, at least one hundred or so tents spread across a field. I had packed enough clothing for a week or two. One evening, just on dusk, I left the camp to explore further afield. I took only the clothes I was wearing, a little money and my car, but instead of driving the car, I folded it up into itself so that it formed a compact suitcase. I ran along the road that curved around the bay next to the water. Darkness fell and soon I could see very little. Still I ran, enjoying the evening and the cooler climate - I believe we were in the southern regions of Australia. Suddenly I realised that I had run straight into the water; the road had disappeared and I had plunged, with my suitcase-car, into neck-deep water. I was very concerned for my car and hoped that it was airtight. I waded through the water back to the shore and resumed my walk along the road. Eventually I found another camp where people were settling in for the evening. I also found a tent that I was to share with another person who I barely knew. We settled ourselves inside the narrow tent, much like a child's first play-tent, and realised how uncomfortable we were. I asked him to move his sleeping bag over a little, which he was reluctant to do, but I insisted. The tent walls were terribly slack and dipped down in the middle. I hopped out to tighten them, pulling the pegs out and repositioning them. The pegs were not anchored in the earth, rather they were lodged in the soft wood of the jetty on which we seemed to be perched. Back in the tent, I read a wonderful book with black and white illustrations and photographs, until I fell asleep. The following morning, I continued walking around the bay. Strangely, I saw a giant sea eagle, brown and white, standing on the jetty, interacting with a woman. I was very surprised as I knew that I had dreamed about a huge brown eagle the night before. This eagle was, again, slightly bedraggled and quite old.

No comments: