Wednesday 24 June 2009

camping out

I was with hundreds of other people, camped on a green in the middle of a city. It was late in the afternoon and we were all setting up tents and preparing for an evening out at a special event. People were walking around in their best clothes, having already visited the communal bathrooms, showered and dressed up. I realised that I had a lot to do: I was yet to erect my tent, unpack my belongings, queue to visit the bathroom and get dressed for this special occasion. I gathered my things, a heavy suitcase and my handbag, and went to where I had earlier left my tent and sleeping bag. I found that a couple that I knew well had erected their tent on my site but had left a small patch of green for me to use, only big enough for one person. Instead of unpacking and putting up a tent, I proceeded to build and make up a bed, complete with sheets, pillows, a white quilt and beautiful cushions. Once finished, I wondered if it would rain whilst I was out at the event or during the night, and worried about sleeping under the stars. I noticed that someone had put up a tarpaulin that could be stretched over the entire sleeping area, so unless there was driving rain, I would be dry.

No comments: