Friday 29 May 2009

man, joke and mouth

We were in another place, another city, far south of here. I had not been there before but B seemed to know a little about where we were.
I met a dark-skinned man who was dressed in white. He showed me a short story that he had written, typed on several sheets of white paper. I read the story, excited both about the story and about meeting this man with whom I could see a long friendship. I imagined how he would look when he was old and felt that t we could help one another on a creative level.
At dusk, B and I walked the streets, heading to a club. Once there, we sat in the glass-enclosed foyer, waiting to go in. People outside looked in at us as they passed. I felt quite conspicuous. A car pulled up and suddenly we were in the back seat. The driver, whose face was obscured by the shadows, was familiar to me. She had something in her hand that she passed back to us - a tiny photograph - and something about her mock-secretive manner instantly gave her away. It was our good friend C. We all laughed as though she had played a great practical joke.
Next, still in the same city though now in daylight, we visited the man's home. He played loud but pleasant music as he moved about the house, doing his own thing. At one stage, he sat down on the internal stairs and invited me to come over and listen to his heart. I knelt on the steps below him and placed my ear to his chest. His heart beat in time to the music and I could hear his breath, in and out. He then asked me to listen with my other ear. I placed my left ear to his chest and now his heart beat backwards. A clock appeared in the air in front on me and I watched the hands tick backwards, in time with his heart.
Later in the day, as we were preparing for a gathering at his home, the roof of my mouth felt strange, as though there was something stuck to it. I put my fingers in my mouth and pulled out some bones that resembled the rib cage of a bird. I removed more and more bones from the roof of my mouth until my mouth felt normal again. The bones fitted together to form a complete arched skeleton that I reassembled on a white plate.
Later again, in another part of the house, my mouth felt strange once more. I realised that I was chewing gum and so I went into another room to remove it. I pulled at the gum but there seemed to be so much of it; the more I pulled out of my mouth, the more there seemed to be. It was wedged behind my teeth and stuck to the roof of my mouth. I pulled at it until it was all out, a huge wad of chewing gum about the size of my fist. I took it out to show a few people as I was amazed that I had been able to fit so much chewing gum in my mouth. No wonder my mouth had felt strange.

No comments: