Monday 18 May 2009

driving, rebirth and pointless tasks

Scattered, strange dreams ...
I was driving around the inner city streets of Brisbane when a man jumped in the car and sat in the passenger's seat. He wanted me to take him to the Convention Centre so I drove around the block and dropped him off at the corner, close to the entrance. I pulled out from the curb and resumed driving but found I was now in the back seat behind the driver's seat so that my vision was extremely obscured. I did my best to navigate around upcoming obstacles, peering out from behind the seat and reaching around to guide the steering wheel, whilst I considered the best way to stop the car without being able to reach the peddles.
Next, I was at my grandmother's house (my grandparents are no longer alive) watching a documentary on "Little Red Riding Hood" and other stories, explaining the symbolism of each character and their character traits. I felt excited about the depth of meaning behind the stories and, somehow, the newfound understanding helped me to make sense of my own life. I was particularly affected by the section on "blindness" of characters indicating that those characters were not only visually impaired but blind to what was going on in the story. In an adjoining room, a group of people were gathered - some old, some around my age. One of the old women had earlier left the group and had taken up residence in a smaller second house, nestled in the back yard behind the main house. I knew that it was time to visit her, that it was part of my duty. I went down the back stairs and into the second house and, once there, several days passed. I had become ill and repeatedly vomited into a plastic container. Eventually, I staggered out of the second house, down the sandy shore of a nearby beach. There, someone showed me a portrait photo of myself that had been creatively treated: my photo, just head and shoulders, was in black and white, and there were hundreds of tiny coloured clocks studded across my forehead and lots of brightly coloured mobile phone faces around my neck. The person who showed me the photo asked me what I thought it meant. I answered that the clocks represented time and the phones technology, that I was racing time to keep up. I noticed that someone had drawn an enormous grid into the sand, that the entire shore was divided up into small squares with a small mound of sand in the middle of each. I quickly ran around the shore, using the last of my energy, stepping in and out of the grid, as I understood I was meant to do. Exhausted, I levitated my body, rising about twenty feet above the shore, and resting there in a vertically upright fetal position, so that I could view the happenings below without being involved. Time passed and people came and went until I was ready to join the world again. I landed on the soft sand of the shore and, now, I had a very young, brown-eyed baby girl in my arms, swaddled in white and pink. I cradled her as some close friends, both older women, came to welcome me back. One of them offered me a sparkling wine to celebrate but, considering the responsibility of caring for a baby, I declined. I was not sure that the baby was mine, seeing as she had simply appeared on the shore at the same time as I, and was about two months old. Suddenly, in a very young babyish voice, although obviously beyond her stage of development, she said that she remembered living in the circus. Both disappointed and relieved that she was not mine, I now accepted the offer of a wine to toast my rebirth.
Next, I was with my family in the first house that I lived in as a child, tearing up pieces of white paper into similarly sized rectangles that I then dipped in oil, covering both sides of the paper evenly, before stacking them on a plate. I repeated the action again and again, until I felt urgent about completing another task. I cannot recall what that was, but I finished it and resumed tearing up the pieces of paper and dipping them in oil, although I did not know what the pieces of paper were for. My mother asked me if I thought that I was using my time wisely and I was not sure, I just knew that I had to finish the tasks.

No comments: