Saturday 13 December 2008

song

I heard a small group of young women perform at a concert. They sounded great but toward the end of one song, it changed slightly and I realised that I recognised the melody and arrangement: it was a song that I had written about seven years ago and had recorded with a local ensemble. I felt outraged that someone had stolen my song.
Next, I was waiting for someone or something. I was not sure for whom or what but the dream was filled with the sense of waiting. Though there were others present, I undressed, stepped into a shower cubicle to wash. I was aware that I could be seen but I had no feelings of shame or modesty, rather I felt totally uninhibited and disinterested in the thoughts of the other people around. In fact, I expected them to regard me with the same disinterest. Once finished, I dried myself and dressed. More people had gathered in the space and among them, the trio of young women who had performed earlier. I decided to confront them about the song. At first, they denied any knowledge of its existence but then I sang the song back to them and told them that I could prove that I wrote and recorded it. I also pointed out that the singer had been unable to hit the highest notes powerfully and then demonstrated how it could be sung. Two of the girls confessed that they had indeed stolen my song and asked if I might be interested in fronting the band for that song. I pretended I might be interested so that I could get others to witness their guilt, and then I yelled at them, saying I would sue them.
Next, I was sitting in an audience and someone was holding a record. There was a photo on the front of a beautiful young woman and there was no title. I knew that the record was either mine or the trio's but I couldn't be sure. I was frightened that they had taken away my opportunity.

No comments: