Monday 27 October 2008

sand wall and crocodile

I was with a group of people, a passenger in a car, driving somewhere up north. We stopped near a beach and all piled out of the car. It was very hot and the air was salty. I stripped off down to my underpants and walked toward the ocean. There was a small sand wall in my way and I tried to scale it. It was just taller than me. Another of our party ran and jumped at the wall, climbing over it with little difficulty. I had more trouble, the sand crumbling under my hands as I gripped the top, bringing me back to the ground several times. I was aware of someone watching me, behind me, and I wished I was wearing something more flattering than the dark blue pants. Finally, I made it over the sand wall. I walked down the shore toward the pale green sea. On this side of the wall, it was even hotter, the air briny and blowing sand about, stinging my skin. I saw the person who climbed the wall, already swimming out of the sea, preparing to go back to the car. He called out a warning about the salt water crocodiles that frequented the area. I cautiously waded in, relieved by the cool water, but immediately felt a bite. A small crocodile snapped at me. He was under a metre long but quite vicious. I grabbed him by the snout and the tail and threw him back into the water as far as I could throw. I tried to walk back up the shore, abandoning my thoughts of a swim, but the crocodile scampered out of the water toward me, snapping at my heels. A second time, I threw him back into the water and tried to leave. Yet again, the crocodile raced back at me. I had time to consider that I would be more frightened if it were a snake because it may be poisonous, and remembered that I had had a similar dream many times before. Now, I thought, it was time to throw the crocodile back into the ocean in real life. Again, I threw him into the sea and this time I made it back over the sand wall to where the others were waiting by the car.

No comments: