Tuesday 14 October 2008

abstract

I was in the church hall of the suburb I grew up in, at the church that I attended when I was young. I was painting a large abstract painting on a canvas that was leaning against an easel, sitting with my back to the far wall of the hall so that I could see the whole room, particularly the glass entry doors and the adjoining kitchen. Initially, all my focus was on a tiny patch of the painting, carefully mixing a yellow paint on a palette on my lap and then brushing it onto the canvas. I observed the paint on the palette closely as I mixed it, ensuring the dark blue blob of oil paint that appeared was thoroughly blended into the yellow. Suddenly my focus widened to take in the whole painting. I was surprised at what I had created as it was very unlike my usual style, but I could see that it was going to be a great work. B called out and said she was popping next door to buy a bottle of wine. I became aware that there were a couple of our friends there also. Just as B returned with the wine, I looked up and saw the clock - it was ten to eight in the morning and I realised that I had to be at the printers at eight. I rushed, disappointed that I could not stay and enjoy the friendship, the painting and the wine. I threw off my clothes, which were splashed with brightly coloured paint, and hurriedly put on clothes suitable for a meeting, asked the others to save me a glass of wine, and ran out the door. I remembered that I had parked my car on a side street, so I crossed the road and walked toward the car. Two young people, a teenage boy and girl, sidled up beside me, uncomfortably close. I knew that they were attempting to steal my handbag. I walked fast, trying to escape them, and felt that they had chosen the wrong person if they were after a wad of cash. I woke.

No comments: