Wednesday 7 December 2011

bus crash

I was in a bus, sitting in the middle of the back seat at the end of the aisle. There were only about six people on board, sitting alone in various seats. A young man of about eighteen also sat on the back seat, on my right, looking out the window. The bus driver steered the bus around golden cliffs - the road curving and precarious - and, as we entered a canyon, the driver sped up, driving too fast and too recklessly. We drove off the road and across the rocks, the bus bouncing and out of control. We hit a rock and the bus spun around, now airborne and sailing down a cavern, tail first. Everything seemed to be in slow motion. The bus was certain to crash and, being in the back, we would receive maximum impact. I looked out the back window and saw the rocks, closer and closer. I said and prayer and thought of my family. The boy turned from the window and looked at me, his blue eyes frightened. I had time to take his hand.

No comments: