Tuesday 15 June 2010

altered reality

I woke and sat up in bed, swinging my legs over the side. I found my ugg boots and put them on, but noticed that they were much longer, reaching up over my knee. I removed them as they were not my boots and found my own boots, slipping them on. I wondered who had left their ugg boots beside my bed. I walked up the stairs and, once up there, found that our house had changed. It was no longer completely private, but adjoined to a busy hotel foyer with shops, restaurants and a gym. Still in my pyjamas, I walked through the foyer to where I thought my bathroom should be. It had transformed into a bath house and there were women in there, enjoying monsoon showers, steaming hot tubs, saunas and more. I walked though, amazed, and realised that as I walked, I was actually wading through shallow water. I left, eager to preserve my ugg boots, and wondered why I had not before noticed the bath house. I passed an orchestra gathered in the foyer, perhaps about to rehearse for a concert. I felt a little self-conscious about my attire, and headed back indoors. Later, we lounged in the hotel pool, strangers walking around us. Again, I was perplexed as to why we had not noticed the transformation of our house. Later again, we were seated at a table in the hotel restaurant during breakfast service. Plates arrived on our table and, instead of the scrambled eggs we were expecting, each large white plate had only a small mound of dry crumbs carefully arranged upon it. Apparently this was the latest food fashion - dehydrated food. Angry and amazed, I asked the waiter if they ever had repeat business. He looked appalled and gestured to the crowd around us. Obviously, they were very popular and I was out of date.

No comments: